Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My treasure

“Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
Matthew 6:21

While my direction the last two years has been pointed toward finishing the renovation of our house, I realize that it has shifted more lately toward the vitalization of my community.

While my focus has been ensuring that our house is more than a physical structure, that it is a home, I notice that I have been concentrating on solidifying the efforts that make my community my home, wherever they are.

While my actions have proven that I want to provide more than enough space for myself & my "stuff" and that I want to live freely and within my right to privacy, I acknowledge that I am interested in sharing my material possessions and broadening my "bubble", letting people get closer, sharing my time and energy more than ever before.

While my treasure has lain in these goals and in the tangibility of my own comfortable existence, I find that I am increasingly mindful of what it could mean to lose a bit of my own entitlements in order to be with, serve with, be in closer proximity to those in my community.

This being said, an idea that Barry came up with many months ago (and that I consistently shot down) won't get out of my head (or is it my heart?).


Communal living
What could/would this look like?

What would the benefits be?
environmental
community ever present
convenience
economical?
responsible
extended family
care for one another, as in physically should one of us become ill
losen my grip around what I consider "mine"
share vehicles / share kid care (more easily) / one Costco card!! hehe

What would the drawbacks be?
too much time with others?
not enough privacy?
relationships change?
accountability - sounds like a benefit, but feels like a drawback :-)
could all be a part? or only those who could contribute financially?

Many more questions ...

No comments: