Tuesday, September 23, 2008

protect marriage?


Even though my heart and mind aren't always on the same page regarding homosexuality, I fail to see how respecting a loving commitment between two people threatens heterosexual marriage. It sort of reminds me of how my theology (again, not always with my heart and mind on the same page) seems to threaten a fundamentalist's belief system. I don't get it. My marriage is safe even if my next door neighbors include a homosexual couple, married or not. My children aren't harmed. My values aren't compromised if "they" are my friends. It has absolutely no affect on my faith and my belief that all people are loved by God.

The e-mail below was sent to me from a local Christian church. The heading was "Protect marriage" and dislayed a picture of a beautiful family ... a mom and a dad and two kids holding hands, running across some field ... the American dream. Aside from the grammatical errors, which bother me and maybe shouldn't, the content contributes to the "in and out" language spoken or inferred in so many churches today.

"Dear, Friends
We are now 42 days away from being apart of changing America enough said we would like to invite you to join us Wednesday, September 24th in the Cornerstone Conference Center for our next Protect Marriage Conference Call at 10:00 am. You will not want to miss this Thursday for the first of 3 simulcast events that will take place before elections, this event will take place at 1445 Fulton Street in the Historic Wilson Theater at 7:00 pm.
Sincerely,
Jim Franklin


Cornerstone Church Conference Call: Cornerstone Conference Center, 1525 Fulton Street, Fresno, CA 93721 Wednesday 10:00 am
Simulcast:Historic Wilson Theater, 1445 Fulton Street, Fresno, CA 93721 Thursday, 7:00 pm"

No comments: